Andrew Odlyzko: Miscellaneous materials
- Tribute to Freeman Dyson by A. Odlyzko: p. 1153 in G. E. Andrews, J. Froehlich, and A. V. Sills, eds.,
In memoriam: Freeman Dyson (1923-2020), in Notices of the American Mathematical Society,
vol. 68, no. 7, August 2021, pp. 1140-1155.
[full 'In memoriam' piece, PDF]
- Ron Graham and the cultures of mathematics and Bell Labs: pp. 1935-1936 in J. Buhler, S. Butler, and J. Spencer, eds., memorial tribute,
Ronald Lewis Graham (1935-2020), in Notices of the American Mathematical Society,
vol. 68, no. 11, December 2021, pp. 1931-1950.
[full 'In memoriam' piece, PDF]
- Book review by A. Odlyzko: Speculation: A History of the Fine Line Between Gambling
and Investment by S. Banner. Economic History Review, vol. 71, no. 3, 2018, pp. 1011-1012.
- Book review by A. Odlyzko: American Railroads: Decline and Renaissance in the
by R. E. Gallamore and J. R. Meyer.
Economic History Review, vol. 68, no. 3,2015, pp. 1103-1104.
- Book review by A. Odlyzko: Harriman vs. Hill: Wall Street's Great Railroad War
by L. Haeg.
Economic History Review, vol. 68, no. 2, 2015, pp. 754-755.
- Information and human society, A. M. Odlyzko.
Review of The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood by J. Gleick.
American Scientist, vol. 99, no. 5, Sept.-Oct. 2011, pp. 412-414.
- Book review by A. Odlyzko: Experimental Mathematics in Action
by D. H. Bailey, J. M. Borwein,
N. J. Calkin, R. Girgensohn, D. R. Luke, and V. H. Moll.
American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 118, no. 10, Dec. 2011, pp. 946-951.
- Book review by A. Odlyzko: This Time is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
by C. M. Reinhart and K. Rogoff.
IEEE Spectrum, April 2011, p. 26, and longer version on the Spectrum site:
[IEEE Spectrum online version]
- Internet: The Web we weave, A. M. Odlyzko.
Reviews of The Laws of the Web: Patterns in the Ecology of Information
by B. A. Huberman and The Internet Galaxy: Reflections on the Internet,
Business, and Society by M. Castells.
American Scientist, vol. 90, no. 5, Sept.-Oct. 2002, pp. 482-484.
[Am. Sci. online version]
Contributions to Galley by Columbia Journalism Review:
Contribution to the book Busted! The Truth About the 50 Most Common Internet Myths,
M. C. Ketemann and S. Dreyer, eds., Hans-Bredow-Institut, 2019.
- Myth #13: Drastic improvements in cybersecurity are urgently needed, Andrew Odlyzko, pp. 68-71.
[online version of book]
Interview by Peter Denning in CACM about cybersecurity:
- The Profession of IT: An interview with Andrew Odlyzko on cyber security, Peter J. Denning,
Communications of the ACM, vol. 62, no. 9, September 2019, pp. 28-30.
Interview in People of ACM:
- People of ACM - Andrew Odlyzko, August 13, 2019. One in a series of posts
about `the unique scientific accomplishments and compelling personal attributes of ACM members
who are making a difference in advancing computing as a science and a profession.'
Interview about research directions in 2014:
- Foreword by A. M. Odlyzko to Advances in Combinatorics:
Waterloo Workshop in Computer Algebra, W80, May 26-29, 2011, I. Kotsireas and E. Zima, eds.,
Springer, 2013, pp. ix-xi. (Dedicated to the memory of Herbert S. Wilf.)
Reports to regulators:
- CRTC network management report, A. M. Odlyzko.
Report submitted with other material by CIPPIC to CRTC, the Canadian
regulator, in the 2009 proceedings on network management.
Letters to the editor:
- Bell Labs led with innovations tied to the real world, A. M. Odlyzko.
Wall Street Journal, March 26, 2012.
- Big questions about small payments, A. M. Odlyzko.
Technology Review, vol. 107, no. 2, March 2004, p. 14.
- Price discrimination and the role of competition , A. M. Odlyzko.
Minnesota Daily, July 7, 2003.
- The 19th-Century Internet, A. M. Odlyzko.
Context Magazine, to appear.
- Days of 'Internet time' have come and gone, A. M. Odlyzko.
Boomtown Exchange by Lee Gomes, in online edition of Wall Street Journal,
November 1, 2002.
- Comments on "Solving the broadband paradox" by Adam D. Thierer, A. M. Odlyzko.
Issues in Science and Technology, vol. 18, no. 4, Summer 2002, pp. 7-8.
[IS&T online version]
- Data vs. voice traffic, K. G. Coffman and A. M. Odlyzko,
Comm. ACM, vol. 42, no. 9, September 1999, pp. 12-13.
[letter as submitted]
Return to home page